As the New Year begins, many of us are resolving to blog more frequently. Here are seven easy-to-create blog post ideas to show your personality and inspire your readers. Best of all, you’ll be creating blog posts based on your personal experiences so there’s no research required!
- Answer frequently asked questions. I’m betting that you get asked the same questions regularly, but the answers are so obvious that you don’t want to blog about them. Do it anyway! Tell your readers where to find the perfect hostess gift, why they should adopt a cat from a local shelter, or how to make a healthy version of macaroni salad. They’ll appreciate it!
- Share your travels. Parts of your environment will be of interest to your readers. As a quilter, I’ve shared photographs of bathroom tiles that have become inspiration for my designs. You may be a home chef who is inspired by the fresh berries at the supermarket. Or a stylist who notices a fashion faux pas. Keep your camera handy and snap some photos. Add a sentence or two about the picture and you’ve got a great blog post.
- Write a review. Was there a business book that changed your views on marketing or a novel that transported you to another world? Did you discover an app that streamlined your travel? Are you obsessed with a locally brewed beer? Share your discoveries and recommendations with your readers.
- Describe a lesson. What did you learn over the last year? Did you attempt planting a vegetable garden and discover that you’d rather buy your produce? Did you try something new in your business that was wildly successful? Or recognize that, in hindsight, you could have made a better decision? In my business, for example, I learned some brutal lessons about email marketing and the stress created by a do-it-yourself approach.
- Share traditions. When my son was in second grade, his teacher described her Christmas Eve tradition of driving through the neighborhood, viewing Christmas lights, and drinking hot chocolate. That became one of our Christmas traditions. As the New Year begins, share how you set business goals or the method you used to keep last year’s resolutions.
- Brag about your customers. Do you have a customer whose business has grown exponentially, who won an award, or who created a fundraiser for charity? Describe what they’ve achieved and help inspire your readers!
- Peak into the future. What are your plans for the coming year? Will your business be adding employees, products or services? Do you have a personal goal, such as running a 10K or traveling to Europe? Or are you excited about 2015 because you’re getting married or will have finally paid off your student loans? Let your readers know what lies ahead.
Sue Allen Clayton has been a professional writer for more than 20 years. She is an author, speaker and content creation coach who has written more than 1,000 blog posts. Her weekly newsletter is filled with helpful blogging tips and ideas. You can visit her website at www.sueallenclayton.com to sign up.