There are so many amazing restaurants in Union Square in New York City. Since I moved my office there a few months ago, so many people have asked me for the top five places to eat in Union Square NY.
For those of you who don’t live in New York, Union Square is located around east 14th Street in Manhattan. It used to be a neighborhood to avoid but today, it’s fashionable – the neighborhood to be in!
Here are five of my favorite restaurants in the neighborhood:
- ABC Kitchen – I went here once with a former client and friend and haven’t stopped going there. I’ve been there about five times and enjoy the variety of foods they have on the menu. Conceived by Jean-Georges Vongerichten, the restaurant has an awesome prix fix for lunch that is really worth the price. It comes with an appetizer, main course and delicious dessert.
- Gotham Bar & Grille – This is a great place to go if you want to go for a relaxing lunch or dinner. It’s very pricey but the food is excellent and they have a great wine list.
- Union Square Cafe – Another pricey place but I enjoy the atmosphere here. The food is pretty good and the waitstaff is okay. (I’ve been here numerous times and had to wait way too long to get my cup of coffee…But, since I was with people I enjoy, it didn’t matter much.)
- Newsbar – For the inexpensive choice, this is a quaint little coffee house that has amazingly delicious breads and pastries. I also enjoy the petite sandwiches for lunch. It’s not like any of the other places mentioned. It’s a bit of a dive on the inside where you sit with 10+ people on long tables but it’s worth the visit. The food and the coffee is really good.
- Flex Mussels – If you like mussels, you will love this place! They have a variety of dishes using steamed mussels. I can’t say which one is my favorite but every time I go there, I enjoy the meal immensely. There’s one of these uptown in the 80’s as well. This one is located on W. 13th street.
Let me know your favorite restaurant in or around 14th Street, Union Square in the comment box below… I’ll try those next!